Graduate Student Health Insurance
Things you need to know regarding the RA/TA Health Insurance Program:
- Enrollment now open.
- RE-enrollment for health insurance is required each fall semester.
- Must have an RA or TA position to be eligible.
- Students must be enrolled full time – before I can enroll you in the RA/TA Health Insurance program (GSHIP).
- students must be enrolled in the GSHIP in before you will be able to waive the mandatory University policy if this is the policy covering you.
- Waiver from the University’s Policy is NOT automatic!
Waiver Deadline: Sept. 12, 2016
Difference between Mandatory Policy and GSHIP program
These are two different and separate kinds of health insurance offered to UNC-CH graduate students
GSHIP (THE RA/TA HEALTH INSURANCE)
A graduate student is eligible for enrollment in the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP), frequently referred to as the RA/TA Health Insurance plan, and provided the following four criteria are met:
- The student must be registered as a full-time graduate student in good standing at the University.
- The student is functioning as a Research Assistant (RA), Teaching Assistant (TA), Fellow or Trainee.
- The student’s service and non-service appointments must be based on academically-related endeavors within an academic program/department.
- The student must receive a minimum prescribed compensation for services, as a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant, or receive a fellowship or traineeship award during a policy year from an appropriate source of University funds related to their academic appointment(s). The minimum prescribed compensation is updated for each plan year.
- Health Insurance is required by every enrolled student.
- Students will be enrolled in the system-wide policy and charged $1,110 each semester if they do not have another creditable health insurance policy.
- The waiver process must be completed by the September 10 for the fall semester.
- University Policy & RA/TA (GSHIP) polices are separate plans.
Waiving the University Student Health Insurance (Student Blue)
Deadline to waive is 10 September.
- Enroll in GSHIP or have another credible insurance policy.
- Receive insurance card & policy information in the mail.
- Go to Waiver Page and follow the instructions/prompts
To enroll a Spouse, Domestic Partner or Dependent you will need:
- Social Security Number
- Prior insurance information (insurer, policy number and dates of coverage
- An application – download the electronic application off the website or link is below.
- Contact BCBS to add dependents (800-579-8022)
Helpful & Additional Information
BCBS: firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-351-8283.