Computer Science Commencement
At this time, the University hopes to hold Spring Commencement as originally planned. However, we continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 and reevaluate the situation daily. Future updates regarding Spring Commencement will be posted at commencement.unc.edu and at unc.edu/coronavirus. The information below reflects the original plan.
2020 Department of Computer Science Commencement Schedule:
Sunday, May 10
10:30 a.m. – Hooding Ceremony (doctoral graduates only) – 014 Sitterson Hall
12:30 p.m. – Students line up at Carmichael – Carmichael Arena
1:00 p.m. – Commencement Ceremony – Carmichael Arena
2:30 p.m. – Ice Cream and Cake Reception – Sitterson Hall and Brooks Building Lobbies
The Graduate School Hooding Ceremony: Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. in the Dean E. Smith Center. Graduating students and advisors should typically arrive at Entrance D no later than 8:15 a.m. Please visit the graduate school website for additional information.
UNC-CH Spring Commencement Ceremony – Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. at Kenan Stadium. Graduating undergraduate students should typically report to the Loudermilk Lot via the outside of the stadium no later than 8:30 a.m. Please visit the University commencement website for additional information.
Graduates from August 2019 and December 2019 and May 2020 candidates receive invitations.
CS Commencement Details
- RSVP’s for the commencement reception requested by May 1. The RSVP form will be shared with invited candidates/graduates and linked here.
- Students are to report to Carmichael NO LATER THAN 12:40 p.m. on Sunday, May 10.
- Doctoral Candidates: Statements from your adviser need to be turned in as soon as possible. Bring your hood with you to the hooding ceremony on Sunday, May 10.
Agenda of Commencement
Introductions, Awards, Presentation of Graduates
There will be a small reception in Sitterson Hall and Brooks Building immediately following the commencement ceremony. Limited inside seating will be available in the Sitterson upper and lower lobbies as well as outside on the patios of both Sitterson Hall and Brooks Building.
More information will be shared closer to the event.
May graduates: Diploma distribution guidelines are on the Registrar’s website.
- Be sure your home address in ConnectCarolina is where you want your diplomas mailed!
- International addresses must pass through the destination country’s Custom’s Office. Be advised that this can significantly delay delivery.
- Diplomas for professional graduate degree recipients are available for pick-up in the Registrar’s Office on commencement Sunday and throughout the month of May.
- Diplomas for master’s and undergraduate degree recipients are ordered after commencement and mailed to each graduate’s home address (as listed in ConnectCarolina) in mid-August.
2020 Computer Science Commencement Ceremony FAQ’s
- Includes information on tickets, RSVP’s, parking, seating, accessibility, attire, etc.
- Professional Pictures by Photo Specialties