Graduate Student Health Insurance
Things you need to know regarding the RA/TA Health Insurance Program:
- Download the Blue Connect Mobile to your Android or iPhone
- Enrollment is Open until approximately September 10, 2023
- RE-enrollment for health insurance is required each fall semester.
- Must have an RA or TA position to be eligible.
- Students must be enrolled full time
- Students must be enrolled in the GSHIP before you will be able to waive the mandatory University policy if this is the policy covering you.
- Waiver from the University’s Policy is NOT automatic and it needs to be done EACH semester!
- Students are charged $2,704 if they do not waive the University’s Policy.
Enrollment Eligibility Form for 2022-2023
Difference between Mandatory Policy and GSHIP program
These are three different and separate kinds of health insurance offered to UNC-CH graduate students
- University Mandatory Health Insurance
- RA/TA Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP)
- GeoBlue Student Health Insurance Plan
- This plan, made available in cooperation with BlueCross BlueShield, is specifically for international students. For more information on plan benefits, consult the GeoBlue website. International students will receive specific GeoBlue enrollment instructions through International Student and Scholar Services and Campus Health.
GSHIP (THE RA/TA HEALTH INSURANCE)
A graduate student is eligible for enrollment in the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP), frequently referred to as the RA/TA Health Insurance plan, and provided the following four criteria are met:
- The student must be registered as a full-time graduate student in good standing at the University.
- The student is functioning as a Research Assistant (RA), Teaching Assistant (TA), Fellow or Trainee.
- The student’s service and non-service appointments must be based on academically-related endeavors within an academic program/department.
- The student must receive a minimum prescribed compensation for services, as a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant, or receive a fellowship or traineeship award during a policy year from an appropriate source of University funds related to their academic appointment(s). The minimum prescribed compensation is updated for each plan year.
- Health Insurance is required for every enrolled student.
- Students will be enrolled in the system-wide policy and charged $2,704 each semester if they do not have another creditable health insurance policy.
- The waiver process must be completed by approximately September 10th for the fall semester.
Waiving the University Student Health Insurance (Student Blue)
Deadline to waive is approximately September 10, 2023
- Enroll in GSHIP or have another credible insurance policy.
- Receive insurance card & policy information in the mail.
- Go to Waiver Page and follow the instructions/prompts
To enroll a Spouse, Domestic Partner or Dependent you will need:
- Social Security Number
- Prior insurance information (insurer, policy number and dates of coverage
- An application – download the electronic application.
Helpful & Additional Information
BCBS: email@example.com or 888-351-8283.
Graduate Student Health Insurance Program Policy Statement