UNC CS Student Ambassador Program
And we want YOU!
The Department of Computer Science is experiencing record growth and has become one of the most popular majors at the University of North Carolina. It’s no surprise that prospective students and tech companies from across the country want to know what makes our department unique. This gave us an idea: let’s have students in the program talk about being students in the program. It’s a simple concept with a lot of impact.
With that in mind, we are announcing the launch of the UNC CS Student Ambassador Program. We believe magic happens at the intersection of technology and people, so we are looking for students who want to build code and connections.
What is the Student Ambassador Program?
Student Ambassadors (SAs) are a selected group of highly motivated future computer science professionals. The SAs provide an indispensable service to the Department of Computer Science by serving as liaisons to current and prospective students, the community, faculty and staff, UNC alumni, and business professionals. These students will serve as the face and voice of the External Relations team, and provide the community a look at what it is to be a computer science student at UNC.
As a student ambassador, each member is expected to be a significant contributor to the future development of the department. Through the positive attitude portrayed by each member and the cohesiveness of the group, the student ambassadors operate by a code of leadership and excellence.
What does a Student Ambassador do?
- Assist with duties and tasks related to events put on by the External Relations team
- Serve as liaison to visiting business professionals and companies
- Conduct department tours for new students, schools, companies, and guests
- Represent the Department of Computer Science during corporate and prospective student events
- Work with diverse populations and provide tips on being a successful student
- Attend one required training and one monthly meeting
What are the benefits of becoming a Student Ambassador?
As a Student Ambassador, you will develop a wide range of transferable skills that will benefit you. Employers are looking for more than just good grades; they want community involvement and service. Student Ambassadors will gain leadership skills that will help build your resume and internship applications. Other benefits from being a Student Ambassador include:
- Broaden contacts among faculty, staff, students, and business professionals
- Work with and learn from business professionals in marketing and entrepreneurship
- Receive recognition for your service at the Department of Computer Science Commencement Ceremony
- Have your volunteer hours recorded for use in future employment or volunteer opportunities
- Meet new people, get involved, and be part of building a sense of community on campus
- Boost your personal and professional skills
How do I become a Student Ambassador?
- Must be considered a full-time student by the university and have computer science as a declared major (or intended declared major)
- Must have completed at least one year at the University of North Carolina with at least one semester of computer science coursework (transfer students should email to inquire about eligibility)
- Must be in good academic and financial standing with the university
- Must be available to work up to 8 hours per month assisting with External Relations events
- Must be available for a monthly Student Ambassador meeting
Applications for the 2021-2022 team are now closed!
For questions or more information contact: