I am a 4th year PhD student at UNC Chapel Hill, dabbling in hardware security research. I am fortunate to be advised by Prof. Cynthia Sturton.
I am broadly interested in all aspects of hardware security. The goals of my research are to help hardware designers efficiently build more secure processors that can withstand a wide range of attack programs in the field, as well as to provide interesting insights about hardware vulnerabilities to the community.
I completed my BS from Peking University, and my MS from Columbia University.
- End-to-End Automated Exploit Generation for Validating the Security of Processor Designs Rui Zhang, Calvin Deutschbein, Peng Huang, Cynthia Sturton IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO) 2018 Nominated for Best Paper Award
- A Recursive Strategy for Symbolic Execution to Find Exploits in Hardware Designs Rui Zhang, Cynthia Sturton ACM SIGPLAN International Workshop on Formal Methods and Security (FMS), co-located with PLDI 2018 [BibTex]
- Identifying Security Critical Properties for the Dynamic Verification of a Processor Rui Zhang, Natalie Stanley, Christopher Griggs, Andrew Chi, Cynthia Sturton ACM Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS) 2017 [BibTex]
- Ultrasensitive Mass Detection Using Dual-Microcantilevers Coupled by Cruciform Overhang Rui Zhang*, Guibing Cai*, Zhiqiang Wang, Lurui Zhao, Wengang Wu IEEE International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems (NEMS) 2013 [BibTex]
- Net-overhang Coupled Dual-Microcantilevers for Sensitive Mass Detection Guibing Cai*, Rui Zhang*, Zhiqiang Wang, Lurui Zhao, Wengang Wu IEEE SENSORS 2013 [BibTex]
- End-to-End Automated Exploit Generation for Validating the Security of Processor Designs
- MICRO Conference, October 2018.
- MICRO Lightning Talk.
- A Recursive Strategy for Symbolic Execution to Find Exploits in Hardware Designs
- Formal Method and Security Workshop, June 2018.
- Identifying Security Critical Properties for the Dynamic Verification of a Processor
- Duke Triangle Machine Learning Day, April 2018.
- High Confidence Software and Systems Conference, May 2017.
- ASPLOS Conference, April 2017.
- NVIDIA, Feb 2017.
- Email: rzhang [at] cs [dot] unc [dot] edu
- Office: 346 Brooks Building
- Blog: Find me on Medium