Women in Tech Week 2018
There is a misconception that the only way to support women in tech is by being a woman in the tech field, but there are so many things anyone can do to make the technical community more open and supportive of women. UNC CS Women in Tech Week (March 5-8) aims to start a conversation about ways to support women in tech and make the tech environment at UNC a more open and accepting community. How will you support #UNCCSwomenintech?
For more information about the speakers and to RSVP for the talks, visit the WiCS page.
Why Do Women in Tech Need Support?
Are you skeptical about the gender gap within the tech community? Do you doubt whether it really exists? Do you believe that it’s easier to get a job in tech as a woman? Or do you think that women have never been at a disadvantage for entering tech?
We invite you to spend some time reading a diverse array of articles and studies highlighting why the gender gap in tech exists, what is causing it, and what it means for women in tech. We hope that you will be able to learn a little more about why we have created the Women in Tech Week. The list of articles below highlights a diverse array of opinions on the topic with many different sources you can turn to for further reading.
- Male biology students consistently underestimate female peers, study finds
- Male and Female Co-Workers Switched Email Signatures, Faced Sexism
- This is What Tech’s Ugly Gender Problem Really Looks Like
Is the Gender Gap Real?
- Why Male Tech Workers Don’t See the Gender Gap
- Tech’s Gender Wage Gap is Real, Partly Because Men Don’t Realize It Is
- ‘Gender Inequity? Not at My Company’: Tech Workers Deluding Themselves on Pay Gap, new Study Finds
Written by Men
- Tech’s Gender Pay Gap Hits Women Hardest
- Is Open Source Open to Women?
- Both Genders Think Women are Bad at Basic Math
- Madam C.E.O., Get Me a Coffee (co-authored by Sheryl Sandberg)
Sexual Harassment in Tech:
- Combating Sexual Harassment in the Tech Industry
- 60% of Women in Silicon Valley Have Been Sexually Harassed
How to Help
- 5 Ways Both Sexes Can Help Solve the Gender Gap in Silicon Valley
- How Top Companies Aim to Close the Gender Gap in Tech