Fall ’22 Application To The Major
This page contains the most up to date information available regarding the Fall ’22 Application process for applying for a major program (B.S. or B.A.) in Computer Science.
Students that are eligible for the Fall ’22 Application include:
- Students that are declared CS majors (B.S. or B.A.) with five or more semesters remaining past Spring 2022 at Carolina.
- Incoming transfer students in Fall 2022 without credit for COMP 210 but who meet the COMP 210 prerequisites.
The above eligible students must be registered for COMP 210 in Fall 2022 while applying for admission to the major. Please see our Fall 2022 Registration Guide for instructions on how to request an enrollment code to register for COMP 210.
Additionally, incoming transfer students with COMP 210 credit and continuing students who received COMP 210 credit by placement exam and/or transfer credits after the start of Spring 2022 are eligible to apply with the Fall ’22 Application and should do so in order to be admitted to the major. These students may be able to register for COMP 301 and/or COMP 211 in Fall 2022 if space in these courses is available. Doing so, however, will not affect the chance of admission to the major (i.e., these students still may be denied entry into the major).
First year students who started in Fall 2022, and all other current students not identified above, should NOT apply for this application cycle. These students should apply in Spring 2023.
- Application opens: September 19, 2022
Students will be able to submit requests to apply in ConnectCarolina through 11:59 pm on 10/27/2022.
The request to apply page will close in ConnectCarolina at 12:00 am on 10/28/2022. The day after requesting to apply, students will gain access to Slate.
Applicants will be able to submit in Slate through 11:59 pm on 10/28/2022.
- Decision notification: January 2, 2023
Students will apply via (a) a standard application requesting biographical information and (b) an essay. The admissions committee will additionally seek academic records through the close of the semester, course data from required departmental courses, and any other information available on contributions within the computer science department or community.
The application process is managed through the University administered Slate system. Students must request the application through Connect Carolina and will then be sent a link to the Slate application via email. The steps to make an application request are:
- Open Connect Carolina
- Go to Student Center
- In the left-hand sidebar under “My Academics”, look for the dropdown at the bottom of the list of options. Select “Apply for Major/Minor Change” in the dropdown, and click the continue arrow button.
- Select Computer Science for 2023 Spring. Agree to Intent to Apply. Submit.
- Wait at least one business day (meaning Monday if you make the request on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) to receive an e-mail with a link to the application.
NOTE: The application will seem to only provide the ability to select BS. Go ahead and do so even if you intend to do the BA. There is only one application for both degree programs and we do not make any distinction between the two for purposes of admission. Once admitted, you’ll be able to change your degree intent to either the BS or BA as you wish.