Skip to main content

Please note: ONLY ITEMIZED RECEIPTS FOR AIRLINE, HOTEL AND RENTAL CARS ARE REIMBURSEABLE. The travel department must be able to determine if there are fees charged that are not reimburseable (i.e. insurance on rental cars, agency fees on airline tickets, room service on hotel receipts, etc.).

Airline Reservations And Fees

Always use U.S. flagged air carriers when traveling on federal funds (i.e. American, U.S. Airways, Southwestern – NOT AirCanada, Air France, etc.).

If you do not want to pay for an airline ticket out of your pocket prior to the trip, please consider the CABS program. Your airline ticket would be paid for by UNC at the time of booking by using the authorized travel agencies. If you need additional information, let Robin Brennan know. If you decide to book your own flight through any internet or any unauthorized travel agency, any additional fees will not be reimbursed and the ticket cost will not be reimbursed to you until the trip has been completed. The internet companies normally charge a small fee and this is not reimbursed. If you use authorized travel agencies the fee is covered.

Link to authorized travel agencies

Please remember to turn in all of your airline receipts and itineraries – even if you use CABS.


For less than 24-hour period, use applicable items only.

Type Account In-State Rate Account Out-of-State Rate
Breakfast 526150 $8.60 526250 $8.60
Lunch 526150 $11.30 526250 $11.30
Dinner 526150 $19.50 526250 $22.20
TOTAL MEALS $39.40 $42.10
Lodging 526140 $71.20 526240 $84.10
Total Allowance $110.60 $126.20


Federal Rates
Excess Meals allowed dependent on funding source.

Please refer to this page for information on reimbursement for meals.

The time of departure and the time of arrival back in Chapel Hill/Raleigh determines which meal time you can claim. Always write your departure and arrival times on the reimbursement form.


Make sure you keep your receipt for parking. This may not be reimbursed if you do not have it and you only have a memo. A receipt for parking is required.

Transportation by Vehicle

University travelers are obligated to use a state-owned vehicle or vehicle that is leased through a state contract. Rental vehicles are not to be used at University expense solely for the convenience or personal preference of the employee. A state employee shall be reimbursed the business standard mileage rate set by the Internal Revenue Service (54.5 cents per mile, effective January 1, 2018) when using their personal vehicle for state business when using their personal vehicle for state business when the trip does not exceed 100 miles per trip.  For business travel trips that utilize personal vehicles and exceed 100 miles per trip, the employee shall be reimbursed at a rate that would not exceed 33 cents a mile for the whole trip. Parking fees, tolls and storage fees are reimbursable when the required receipts are obtained. Fines for traffic and parking violations are the responsibility of the state employee.

Mileage is measured from the closer of either the duty station or part of departure to destination (and return).  When traveling to/from RDU – to/from Chapel Hill, the trip is 18 miles each way or 36 miles total for the round-trip.  Reimbursement for travel between the employee’s duty station and the nearest airline terminal and for appropriate parking may be made by using either the car service (one round-trip fare), a taxi (one round-trip fare), or by private car (two round trips each at the statutory rate with no parking charge, or one round trip with parking charges).  Reimbursement for travel to and from the airline terminal at the employee’s destination may be made for car service, bus, commuter train, subway or taxi with appropriate receipts.

State Mileage Allowance Chart for Personal Vehicle Mileage Reimbursement

In the event that an employee does not use a state-owned vehicle or vehicle leased through a state contract, the following rates apply for trips on or after Jan. 1, 2018:


Round trip does not exceed 100 miles 58 cents per mile
Round trip exceeds 100 miles Total round trip will be reimbursed at 33 cents per mile


At the employee’s destination, a State car may be used prudently for travel to obtain meals, but may not be used for private purposes or for entertainment while off-duty. No common carrier or public transportation fares are reimbursable on a trip on which an employee uses a State car, unless it is shown that such transportation was more economical.

Vehicle Rental

Effective August 15, 2016, University faculty and staff needing short-term vehicle rentals will use Enterprise Rent-a-Car, an approved vendor with the State of North Carolina. The transition from the Carolina Motor Pool to Enterprise will provide more options for staff and cost savings to the University. Enterprise offers competitive rates, the newest makes and models of vehicles, and inclusive auto coverage.

Making Reservations

Faculty and Staff who need a motor vehicle to perform official University business may reserve an Enterprise vehicle by contacting or using the following link:

Faculty and staff should use the most efficient and cost effective travel options for you and your department. Using a rental vehicle is often less expensive than using a personal vehicle, and insurance is included in all Enterprise reservations.

Central Airfare Billing System (CABS)

The Central Airfare Billing System (CABS) allows university employees to make airline reservations and to directly bill their airfare to the project that will be paying for their trip. The procedure for using this system is as follows:

  1. Complete the CABS Authorization Form (MS Word File), email form to or submit form to Robin Brennan in room SN106 or put it in her mailbox.
  2. For additional assistance with flight information please contact one of the Authorized Agencies found on the Travel web site, and ask them for a price quote on airfare for the trip you will be taking. If you are satisfied with this quote, an email will be sent to the Travel Coordinator from the Authorized Agency.
  3. Then a Travel Authorization number (C#) will be sent to Authorized Agency to direct bill the University.
  4. If you have a Frequent Flyer number for the airline being used, check with the Agency to see if Frequent Flyer miles can be awarded for CABS flights.
  5. Fill out the regular Travel form and process as normal without the airfare included.

An advantage to this program is that employees do not have to tie up their credit cards or personal funds while waiting for reimbursement. A disadvantage to the program is that they *may* not receive the Frequent Flyer miles (check with the Agency to be sure) or the insurance advantages that their personal credit card may give them. CABS is not a required procedure at this point, only an option.