Reviewed by David Musick 08/07/2018
Video Conferencing and Content Sharing with Zoom
UNC-CH Zoom campus partnership offers a video conferencing solution through a cloud-based video conferencing and content-sharing service called Zoom, this product is an easy-to-use, mobile-friendly, video and audio conferencing service. The ability to host online meetings with up to 100 participants is available at no cost to Carolina faculty, staff, and students. Start your own meeting at any time by visiting the UNC Zoom Portal Page: https://unc.zoom.us/
What is Zoom?
- Enterprise Video Conferencing and Web Conferencing for Online Meetings, Training, and Video Conferencing
- Distance Learning: Extending the classroom beyond the walls of a room to anyone who has access to the Internet.
- Guest Lectures: Using Zoom, guest lecturers can use video to reach a classroom full of students from across the world, no matter which video platform they’re using
- Virtual Office Hours: Students can join office hours from their browser or mobile device to ask questions, eliminating the requirement to be at an on-campus location.
- Internal / External Collaboration: Share ideas and collaborate with faculty, staff, researchers, vendors, and more.
- High-quality video, audio, screen sharing with a stable connection for up to 100 participants
- Chat, polling, presence indicators, and break-out rooms
- Display up to 25 video windows per screen
- One click to start or join meetings
- All features available on desktops/laptops and mobile devices
- Learn more about Zoom’s features
Before you can use Zoom, you must install the Zoom software for your device. Software is available from the Zoom Download Center. You can also find from the Zoom Download Center an Outlook plug-in and Firefox and Chrome extensions that will allow you to start or schedule a meeting with one click.
It’s a good idea to install that software ahead of time so it doesn’t delay your first meeting; however, if you haven’t yet done that, Zoom will automatically start downloading the application to your device. You will need to install the downloaded application before you can start your meeting.
After opening the Zoom Meeting client, select the option to Sign in with SSO.
UNC Zoom Portal Page: https://unc.zoom.us/
Support, tutorials and training
The Zoom Support Center offers help documents and video tutorials. You can also register for live training or view recorded training sessions.