Emergency and Evacuation Procedures

What to do in case of major or minor emergencies, and information on emergency contacts, first aid, cleaning supplies and who to contact.

Reviewed by bil hays, 2017-02-26

See also the Disaster Recovery and Continuity plan and Contacting Computer Services.

The Building Emergency Coordinator for Computer Science is bil hays, contact him with any questions. David Musick, and Mike Carter are Evacuation Coordinators.

Emergency notification procedures for UNC CH are here and UNC CH emergency scenarios and responses are here, our documentation is supplemental to those documents and does not supersede them. See also http://ehs.unc.edu/fire/procedures/


In the event of minor emergencies such as water leaks or food spills, the following information may be of use.

  • For medical emergencies, dial 911. If you have medical questions and you are on the state health plan, you can reach a nurse via Health Line BlueSM, 24/7 to ask questions. Speak with a specially trained nurse anytime by calling 1-877-477-2424. Student Health Services can be reached at 919-966-2281.
  • First aid: Small kits can be found in the back of FB135, SN128, and SN247, and  there is a large kit in SN112. Please do not raid these kits for bandages, we keep a store of those on hand in  SN128 on top of the metal shelves in the north east corner.
  • Spills: We have a spill kit, absorbent rolls, and a rag bag in  SN128 on top of the metal shelves in the north east corner. There are also some “kitty litter” sand bags in the base of the west stairwells, we’ve used those to stop flooding from outside.
  • Cleaning supplies. We have some in the shop; windex, fantastik, paper towels and the like. Also, we keep plastic bags and towels in the cabinet in SN240, and bags and trashcans in SN030. See Gina, Missy, Michael or bil if you need help finding such.
  • If you cannot reach computer services  and have an emergency that requires plumbers, electricians or other UNC Facilities folks call 919 962 3456.


The most common event for which we have an evacuation is a false positive for fire in the building alarm system, but this procedure should be used for other types of evacuations. If you need to evacuate, the best paths are out through either lobby, or down and out through the Brooks stairwells (since there are emergency phones located there). Do not use the elevator. If you cannot use the stairs, proceed to the Brooks stairwells and use the emergency phone to call 911 to get assistance in evacuating.

In the event of a fire alarm, evacuation coordinators check an assigned floor in the building to remind people that they are required to evacuate the building in the event of an alarm. If a person will not leave the building, evacuation monitors should note the person’s name and location, so as to be able to provide that to appropriate emergency personnel. Evacuation coordinators also have a printed handout with a list of important rooms (those with hazardous materials or with special power/cooling needs), floor plans, and a list of emergency contact numbers.

Faculty, Learning Assistants and Teaching Assistants should consider what evacuation routes are best from the classrooms in which they teach, and should communicate that to those taking the class. It may also be helpful to note locations of fire extinguishers, but the primary goal in case of an actual fire should be calm and orderly evacuation.


Follow the guidance of the relevant authorities regarding whether to stay inside the building or to go home or to an appropriate shelter. The safest place to stay would be the large classrooms on level 0: FB009, FB007, SN011 and SN014.


Our rescue spaces are the stairwells in the Brooks building, if you cannot exit the building, please go to the stairwells and use the phone there to call for help. There is a yellow wall mounted phone that ties directly to Public Safety. These are also good locations to take someone who has been injured or suffering from a medical problem if they can be safely moved, as EHS is aware of the locations of the rescue areas.

If for some reason you cannot get to the stairwells in Brooks, go to SN208 or SN310. These rooms have a phone, and are good spots for rescue personnel to reach in case that is necessary.

In the event that there is a need to shelter in place, please use FB009, FB007, SN011 and SN014 as these are in the center of the building and not exposed to exterior glass.


  • SN032 – ME Room
  • SN128 – Electronics shop
  • SN250 – Hood Room


Please check these rooms for temperature after a power outage, sometimes the cooling systems fail to restart properly.

  • SN031 – MDF
  • SN122 – Main machine room
  • SN156 – Net lab
  • SN251A – Mini machine room


  • SN122 – This space used to have halon fire suppression, but no longer
  • SN031 – This room does have an active halon system