Connecting to the Wired Network

How to connect a personal computer or other device to the wired CS network.

Reviewed by Bil Hays 4/29/2014

Computer Services supports PCs running current versions of Windows,  OS X, and Linux (redhat and ubuntu). Support for other operating systems is very limited.

Requesting a network connection and IP number

Computer Services supports ethernet connections for all machines within this department. In order to have your computer attached to the network, you will need an ethernet card that supports twisted pair (ethernet) connections. If you have this card installed in your computer, send e-mail to “help” and we will make the ethernet connection. It is most helpful if you can send us the MAC address for your network card as well, this can be obtained with ipconfig (windows, if the network card is attached to the net!) or ifconfig (unix), or via the Network Preferences Panel (macs).
Once we have made your connection, we will assign an IP number and a hostname to your computer. If you would prefer a specific hostname, please include that with the mail message that you send to help.
Since we may not have enough connections to be able to support all the computers a user may wish to have, our policy is to provide a connection for any machine provided by facilities. If additional machines are required, we may request that a grant source or individual pay for the additional connections. Cost is generally below $50.00 for the required switch.

Network Settings

See the Important Network Names and Numbers page for basic settings such as subnet mask and gateway.

Other Support Issues

We recommend caution when installing services such as web servers, servers, email servers, etc. If you want to run such a service, please contact us to let us know what you’re intending to do so we can help. If you do run services, please make sure they are adequately secured and kept up to date. Also, please be aware that if you run a service that is accessed by anyone other than yourself, you are considered a System Administrator under Campus Policy and required to take a training module.

Additional resources may be available from the UNC Campus’ ITS Help Desk. See