CS Career Week- Student Information
|Tuesday, Sept. 17||5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.||Career Symposium||Pre-registration required! Employer panel discussions and networking event||014 and Lobby, Sitterson Hall|
|12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.||Tech Career Fair||Job and internship expo specifically geared toward students in tech majors||Ram’s Head Recreation Center|
|Thursday, Sept. 19||12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.||Fall Job & Internship Expo||Fall Job and Internship Expo open to all majors||Ram’s Head Recreation Center|
- Date: Tuesday, September 17, 2019
- Time: 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Location: 014 Sitterson Hall
Join us for an evening of panel discussions & networking to learn how to improve your resume, prepare for the job search and find out what it is like to work in several industries. Don’t miss an opportunity to engage with engineers & recruiters from leading companies.
REGISTER TO ATTEND (REQUIRED)
|5:30 p.m.||Panel 1: Industry Perspective
A diverse group of panelists will provide perspectives on working in a broad range of fields, including technology, finance, consulting, and other industries.
|6:15 p.m.||Panel 2: Student Perspective
The second panel will focus on student experience in internships and jobs in the computer science field. Current students and recent graduates will discuss what helped them secure internships, and what opportunities they had/have in their roles at these companies.
|7:00 p.m.||Networking Event
We will finish the evening with time for networking to allow you to connect with employers face-to-face. Refreshments will be provided.
- Who may attend? Registration is REQUIRED, but this event is open to all UNC students in Computer Science, Information Science, and other STEM fields.
- What is the dress code? Business casual attire is appropriate.
- What should I bring? We encourage students to bring their resumes and or business cards.
- Is food provided? Yes! We will provide food and sodas for the networking event.
- Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- Time: 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Ram’s Head Recreation Center
This event is open to all UNC students with an emphasis on Computer Science, Information Science and other STEM fields. Speak with representatives from 30+ companies looking to hire for full-time jobs and internships. See the companies registered at https://careers.unc.edu/event/20190918/3243.
- Date: Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Time: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Location: Ram’s Head Recreation Center
Meet with representatives from organizations that have full-time positions and internships available in North Carolina and throughout the U.S. There will be for-profit and non-profit and government organizations attending. To view and research the list of the organizations to be represented, visit https://careers.unc.edu/event/20190919/3244. Please bring multiple copies of your resume and to make the best impression on employers, professional attire is recommended. This career fair is open to all majors and all disciplines. This event is open to UNC-Chapel Hill students only.
- Research the companies you plan to see this week. Find out a little about what they do and what kinds of job/internships they are recruiting. Check Handshake (formerly Careerolina) or the company website for job postings and the list of employers who are registered for the Job and Internship Expo, Career Symposium, and Tech Career Fair.
- Think of a question you have for the companies you plan to talk with. Maybe you have a question about the job, their culture, what skills and qualities they are looking for in an ideal candidate or the application process. Don’t just walk up and ask “what are you hiring for?” Show them you’re interested and that you’ve put some effort into finding out more about them! Be sure to visit our Corporate Partners page and familiarize yourself with those companies.
- Make sure your resume is in good shape before you hand it to an employer. If you haven’t yet had it looked at, think about stopping in with University Career Services during their drop-ins. Learn about what’s important on a resume from the recruiter’s perspective!
- If you have questions about how to prepare, contact Stephanie Johnson, the CS career development coordinator!
Computer Science Career Week 2019 is sponsored by all of our Corporate Partners. Check out all the companies who are partners with UNC CS on our Corporate Partners page.