About Our People
The department faculty includes 32 tenure-track faculty, five research faculty, and two lecturers. Among those are members of the National Academy of Engineering, the American Academy of Arts & Sciences, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, as well as fellows of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Insitute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Faculty awards and accolades include:
- 5 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Fellows
- 5 Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Fellows
- 2 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- 1 American Academy of Arts and Sciences Member
- 1 Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention Society (MICCAI) Fellow
- 2 recipients of the ACM SIGGRAPH Steven Anson Coons Award for Outstanding Creative Contributions to Computer Graphics
- ACM SIGGRAPH Outstanding Service Award
- IEEE VR Career Award
- IEEE TCRTS Outstanding Technical Achievement and Leadership Award
- Young Faculty CAREER award (multiple recipients)
- ONR Young Investigator Award (multiple recipients)
- Microsoft New Faculty Fellowship
- Satava Award for contributions to medicine
- UNC Chancellor’s Award for Excellence
In recent years, our graduate students have received numerous research fellowships, including the NSF Graduate Research Fellowships, the Google Fellowship in Computer Vision, the Link Foundation Fellowship, and the Gates Cambridge Scholarship to study at Cambridge University in England. Our students have recently authored Best Paper winners at IEEE Virtual Reality (VR), the IEEE International Convention on Computer Vision (ICCV), and the Medical Image Understanding and Analysis Conference, and their dissertations have earned the University Dean’s Distinguished Dissertation Award in Mathematics, Physical Sciences and Engineering as well as the national Council of Graduate Schools/ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Award.
Our master’s and doctoral graduates have gone onto industry jobs at tech powerhouses like Amazon, Cisco, Disney, Google, Intel, and Microsoft; joined healthcare companies like Impulsonic and Kitware; strengthened government organizations like the Department of Defense and NASA; and created their own startups like Boostsuite and MindTouch.
Our graduates who have stayed in academia have taken tenure-track and research faculty positions at Florida, Georgia Tech, M.I.T., Stanford, UC Santa Barbara, UNC-Chapel HIll, and more.