Reviewed by David Musick 8/12/2015
Video Conferencing and Content Sharing with BlueJeans
UNC Computer Science Department, in cooperation with OASIS, offers a video conferencing solution through a cloud-based video conferencing and content-sharing service called BlueJeans, this product offers interoperability with multiple platforms and devices.
What is Blue Jeans?
Blue Jeans is a multi-party video conferencing and content sharing service. With Blue Jeans, you can meet with up to 100 participants or sites per meeting. Run entirely in the cloud, Blue Jeans works with PC and Macintosh computers, iPhone, iPad, Android and other devices via a web browser, no special hardware required. You can even connect with in-room systems such as Polycom, Tanberg, Cisco or other H.323 devices. The service allows you to place video calls to colleagues and collaborators around the globe.
How can Blue Jeans help with my work?
• Remote Members: Have remote committee members? BlueJeans is great alternative to Skype or Hangouts. No account needed.
• Distance Learning: Extending the classroom beyond the walls of a room to anyone who has access to the Internet.
• Guest Lectures: Using BlueJeans, guest lecturers can use video to reach a classroom full of students from across the world, no matter which video platform they’re using.
• Virtual Office Hours: Students can join office hours from their browser or mobile device to ask questions, eliminating the requirement to be at an on-campus location.
• Internal / External Collaboration: Share ideas and collaborate with faculty, staff, researchers, vendors, and more.
• You can have up to 100 people in a video conferencing session
• Video conference HD recording capability with unlimited cloud-based storage
• Ability to invite non-UNC participants
• Free to use for Computer Science faculty, staff, and students
• Browser extensions for IE, Chrome, Thunderbird and Safari
• Smartphone app for iOS and Android
• Microsoft Outlook Add-in
• Join meetings from standards based (SIP and H.323) room systems including Cisco, Polycom and Tanberg
Access / Scheduling
BlueJeans is available to Faculty, Staff and Students of the Computer Science Department. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include following information.
• Date, time and length of event
• Indicate if this is a one-time or recurring event
• Person in charge of video conference
• Indicate if you require a moderator (cs support staff) or a moderator-less event, allowing you or another participants to act as moderator.
• List of participates email addresses
• Once scheduled, you will receive an email with a link to the conference that includes the meeting ID number.