Phone based audio only conference calls
Reviewed by David Musick 3/3/2015
Conference Call Options
- 3-WAY CONFERENCE CALL ON YOUR IP PHONE
- MEET ME VOICE CONFERENCE-No Charge and up to 7 people
- USER MANAGED AUDIO CONFERENCE – Toll free number. Fee applies
3-WAY CONFERENCE CALL ON YOUR IP PHONE
While you are on a call:
- Press the Conference key on your phone (this may be a soft key, and you may need to press More to find the conference option). The main call is placed on hold.
- Dial the 3rd party’s number.
- When you’re ready, press Conference again to connect all 3 parties.
MEET ME VOICE CONFERENCE
The department’s VoIP phone system supports up to 7 people, including yourself. Participants must call into the Conference Room. To join your conference, you and others enter a 5-digit conference room number. Any long distance charges are the responsibility of the individual calling into the conference. To use this service, see setup and operation instructions below.
USER MANAGED AUDIO CONFERENCE – TOLL FREE NUMBER
With this option you pay per minute for all conferees. This service is a flexible conferencing solution that is secure and easy to use. Because it is an automated, self-service solution, the moderator has total control of each and every call, allowing him/her to conduct meetings anytime, from absolutely anywhere, so you do not need to be at UNC to host a conference. This service is provided by State of North Carolina Office of Information Technology Services via AT&T Communications.
Important: There is no set up charge. However, a per minute usage rate for each conferee, including the moderator will apply. The rate is $0.03 per minute per participant as of 2013, according to the its.nc.gov website.
This service provides a toll-free conference telephone number, a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and a Meeting Room number. To obtain a toll-free audio conference service Submit a request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919.590.6172. Please include date and time of conference and grant or funding source that will be responsible for payment. Once request is processed, toll-free number and virtual meeting room pin and instructions will be provided to you.
- Using your web browser, go to “phone.cs.unc.edu” and login using your phones 4 digit extension and your voice mail password.
- Select “Features”, then “Conference Room” option.
- General Settings: enter a 5 digit number that will represent your personal conference room number. Alternately, select the blue arrow next to the box to randomly select a conference room number.
- Select Yes or No to play sound when people enter/leave the conference.
- Select sound type from drop down box.
- Select Play music On Hold when only 1 member is in the conference Yes/No
- If desired, conference members may press “#” and be sent to an extension, if desired enter the 4 digit extension.
- Conference Admins. Enter your own extension here. Add any other (internal) extension that you would like to have admin rights to your conference.
- Admin Settings: Only allow conference admins to talk? (Default is No)
- Hang up conference when all conference admins leave? (Default is No)
- Users cannot talk until a conference admin is in the conference room? (Default is No)
- Save conference settings.
Meet-Me-Conference Operation Instructions
- Using your office VoIP phone, dial 251.
- Enter your 5 digit conference number followed by the # key.
- Up to 6 external callers can dial 919.590.6080
- Enter your 5 digit conference number followed by the # key
NOTE: Meet-Me-Conference supports up to 7 people, including yourself.