Commencement Frequently Asked Questions
Tickets for Guests & Family:
- No tickets are needed for the CS Commencement. You are welcome to bring as many family members and friends as you like.
- RSVP’s are required for the reception & PhD Lunch for planning purposes.
Attire of Graduates:
- Caps and gowns
Arrival to the Ceremony:
- Graduates will be lined up near Portal 3 for the processional. Please be at Carmichael Arena between 3:00 p.m. – 3:10 p.m. to line up.
- Guests will not be allowed into Carmichael until 3:15 p.m. due to the previous ceremony in the area. Parents, family, and guests should enter the lobby and go through Portal 4 to be seated.
Disability Seating/Preferential Guest Seating:
- These seats are generally for people who have limited mobility. Seating for family members and guests with special accessibility needs will be available in designated sections of the Carmichael Arena. No prior arrangements needed to be made to secure seating in these areas. The area can be located as you enter through the main front doors, go either to your right (towards Portal 4) or to the left (towards Portal 5). The entire area between Portal 4 and 5 is an expanded seating area to accommodate wheel chairs. It is located on the same level as the main entrance.
- Disability Access to the floor: On the south side of Carmichael Arena there is an elevator that people in wheelchairs can use to access the floor level. If you come in through the front doors of the building, take a left and go all the way down the hallway. The elevator is at the end.
Length of Ceremony:
- Approximately one hour
Meeting up with your Graduate & Family after the Ceremony:
- Prearrange a meeting spot outside of the front of Carmichael Arena with your family and guests after the recessional. Graduates will be using the side exits of the arena. Parents and guests will exit directly out the front entrance of the arena. Please note that another department may be waiting to enter the Carmichael Arena for the next scheduled commencement ceremony directly after ours.
CS Commencement Reception:
- Prior to Commencement, there will be a reception starting at 1:15 p.m. Cake, ice cream, and drinks will be available in the Brooks Lobby and both the upper and lower lobbies of Sitterson Hall.
Note: The walk from Sitterson/Brooks to Carmichael Arena is 15 minutes at most. See the Parking Information on the CS Commencement web page for more information on transportation.
- Parking information for Saturday’s departmental ceremony and the university ceremony on Sunday can be found on this page.
- For those with a state-issued disability permit, parking is available on a first come first served basis along South Road between the soccer fields and the cemetery. Note that there are several events going on the same time that day and we are unable to permanently reserve disability parking. For those without a state-issued disability permit, we suggest that you drop your guests off at Carmichael Arena and then find parking.
- The drop-off and pick-up area is located on South Road in front of Woollen Gym. Please do not pull into the monitored drive.
There will be a professional photographer at the CS Commencement Ceremony in Carmichael Arena taking photos of each graduate during the ceremony.
As each graduate is handed his/her diploma, a picture will be taken by a professional photographer with Photo Specialties. A free color proof will be sent to your current mailing address, including a password for online viewing. You are under no obligation to purchase prints. To receive an email notification the moment your photos are online, please visit www.photospecialties.com to pre-register. If you do not receive a proof within a week of the ceremony, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-722-7033.